At Bowerbird Australia, we believe in quality and have chosen to craft each jewellery piece from Australian recycled sterling silver and finished the rhodium enhanced plating. We have chosen to use rhodium plating for its scratch-resistant properties, hard finish and ability to help prolong shine and the tarnishing process. Visit our Jewellery Materials page for more details.
While we have armed your piece with some protection against the tarnishing process, your Bowerbird piece will still need some love and care in the form of regular cleaning and proper jewellery storage. Help maintain and keep your Bowerbird jewellery shiny and clean with our jewellery care and storage tips.
Why does jewellery tarnish?
The tarnishing of jewellery is something that naturally occurs over time from wear. Tarnishing is when corrosion on the surface of your jewellery occurs as a chemical reaction when exposed to oxygen, moisture, humidity and sunlight. This is normally visible as a dark discolouration on the surface of your piece. The more frequently that your Bowerbird piece is worn and exposed, the quicker the tarnishing process will happen.
How to clean your jewellery
The process when it comes to cleaning sterling silver jewellery is quite quick and simple. Follow the below steps to help maintain the shine and quality of your jewellery.
- After wearing your sterling silver jewellery, gently wipe it down with a soft cloth to help remove unwanted chemicals and build-up from skin, oils and perfume on the surface of your jewellery piece.
- Gently polish your piece with a jewellery cloth to bring back its shine and remove any tarnish. Be careful not to over polish your item as it may remove some of the plating.
- Once finished, store your jewellery in its box or pouch in a room free of moisture and heat.
How do I keep my jewellery from tarnishing?
All Bowerbird jewellery is finished with rhodium enhanced plating to help prolong shine, however, there are some substances and activities you should avoid to help prolong the life of your jewellery.
- Avoid wearing your jewellery during activities such as cleaning, showering and swimming (both in a pool or at the beach), even sleeping.
- Avoid moisturisers, foundation, hairspray, sunscreen and any other topical substances. When getting ready in the morning, apply any skincare, makeup, perfumes and hairsprays before putting on your jewellery
- After wear, wipe down and store your jewellery back in its box or pouch in a cool dry place.
How to store your jewellery
Once your jewellery has been cleaned, we recommend storing it in a moisture-free room in your box or pouch. A ziplock bag or jewellery box with soft lining is also another good jewellery storage option.
It is best to store each piece separately to avoid any scratching, damage or the dreaded necklace tangle. Avoid storing your jewellery pieces in humid areas such as the bathroom as this can cause unwanted oxidisation and tarnishing.